Mis Escritos Y Pensamientos

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen. -Samuel Lover

7:30 AM

Es Un Poco Frio

Posted by Christa Joy |

My title is an understatement. It's crazy cold outside, and even though I've said it a million times before, I'll say it again. "I hate winter." Even as I write this, I am told that it feels like -25 degrees outside. Yes, and that's fahrenheit. One of my favorite parts about teaching ESL is to get to the day where we learn about weather. Students from all over the world, but especially those from more tropical locations, are astounded when told that in the winter that it gets below 0 degrees here. They almost pass out when they are told that is 0 degrees Fahrenheit, not celsius. You can see as they begin to try and figure in their head what the temperature would be in celsius, and then watch their eyes as realization sets in. It gets pretty darn cold in Missouri.

I'm trying to think of good benefits of the cold. So far I have....

1. There are no bugs. No normal living creature would come out in this weather.

2. If for some reason your fridge stops working, you can just set everything outside your doorstep.

3. Ice skating is a little easier in the winter than in the summer...at least in some locations.

4. It makes advocates of global warming look like idiots.

So far, that's all I've got. Feel free to list you own ideas on how this freezing weather could be a good thing.

I can think of a bad thing about this cold. I have the coldest room in my house. Last night, I tossed and turned, trying to find some warmth somewhere, as the temperature in my room dipped to a chilly 58 degrees. Not freezing I know, but not the most comfortable sleeping temperature. At least I didn't have to sleep outside.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Don't forget ICE FISHING! Fun stuff.

Jessica said...

Oh, and it gives me a chance to wear my stylish ear muffs. People look at me funny when I wear them in July.

Becky said...

Claro que si, guapa! Los abrazos están mejor durante el invierno! :D

Christa Joy said...

All three are good points. Also, when it's this cold, your ice cream doesn't melt as you walk from building to building.

Post a Comment

Subscribe