Mis Escritos Y Pensamientos

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen. -Samuel Lover

6:22 PM

Back Off...It's British.

Posted by Christa Joy |

Some people like to correct the grammar, spelling, pronunciation, etc...of other people. I do that many a time. Heck, I get paid to do that, but what I do not appreciate is when people try to correct me in these areas only because they do not understand what they are talking about.

For some incredibly weird reason, my natural tendency is to write with a British English. I first discovered this when a teacher edited my paper in college. She said, "Well, this is right, only if you are in England." So, I "learned" to write the American way, which I don't know why I didn't learn in the first place. However, in my own writings, I still write the way that they do "across the pond".

The last sentence is one example of the British rules. American grammar requires that the period be inside of the quotation marks. British English has the period on the outside.

Another large difference is the spelling. Which way do you spell these words?

gray/grey
color/colour
theater/theatre
adviser/advisor
fairy/faerie

So, just because it may look wrong to you, doesn't mean that it's incorrect English.

2 comments:

thepianist86 said...

grey, colour, theatre, advisor and fairie.

Christa Joy said...

I would have expected nothing less from you.

Post a Comment

Subscribe